2017 STAR AWARD WINNERS
The annual STAR awards recognize and honor the contributions of SHPE members and Hispanic organizations to the STEM fields. The 2017 winners were selected from over 130 nominations including professionals, corporations, and students.
The 2017 winners are:
- Advisor of the Year – Dr. Eliseo De Leon
- Community Service – Samantha Dominguez, Lockheed Martin
- Company of the Year – John Deere
- Corporate Achievement – Francisco Romero, IBM
- Diversity – Imelda Castro, Intel
- Educator of the Year (Higher Education) – Dr. Jean Andino, Arizona State University
- Government Agency of the Year – National Security Agency
- Hispanic in Technology (Corporate) – Gary Alvarez, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Hispanic in Technology – (Government) – Daniel Perez Jr., Naval Undersea Warfare
- Innovator – Olivia A. Graeve, University of California – San Diego
- Jaime Oaxaca – Rosendo Cruz, Exxon Mobil
- Junipero Serra – Maida Lopez, The Boeing Company
- Manager of the Year – Gustavo Delcampo, United Technologies
- Pioneer of the Year – Jesus Vargas, VSCE, Inc
- Professional Role Model – Maira Garcia, Honeywell
- Promising Engineer – Faraon Torres, The Boeing Company
- SHPE Star of Today – Roberto Montanez, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- SHPE Star of Tomorrow – Maria Cecilia de Castro Breda, John Deere
- Student Role Model (Graduate) – Johanna Heureaux-Torres, University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Student Role Model (Under Graduate) – Maria Rossana Ruiz, Prairie View A&M University
- Young Investigator Award – Brian Mazzeo, Brigham Young University
The highest honor is the Jaime Oaxaca, recognizing the honorees outstanding contributions and accomplishments in the fields of engineering and science to the Hispanic community. Other awards honor excellence of STEM professionals, businesses, role models, pioneers and promising students.
“The 2017 STAR awards recipients are innovators, leaders, role models and achievers and we are so fortunate to have so many inspiring members a part of SHPE and the Hispanic community,” said Raquel Tamez, CEO of SHPE.
The winners will be honored and presented with awards at the SHPE National Conference held in Kansas City, MO on November 1-5, 2017.